20101019

what did we read: i was told there'd be cake


I have just begun reading I Was Told There'd Be Cake, Sloane Crosley's debut book published in 2008. And by just begun I mean that I have only finished reading the first essay "The Pony Problem" and almost all of the second essay. This means I'm not yet qualified to write a review of the collection and not even really certified to voice an opinion. After all, it's a collection and not just one story.

Extrapolating from what I've read so far—I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book.

At the same time, I'm realizing the dangers of picking up a book because of really good reviews of it... Having expectations before diving into something isn't my typical approach to things, but that's how this book ended up in my Amazon cart.

The book was a best seller and, of course, on her site, there's only glowing praise. The Los Angeles Times calls it "exquisite" and Details declares it "truly well crafted and genuinely funny." Her recent second book, How Did You Get This Number?, has also accumulated solid reviews as well.

I suppose with no one saying bad things, I began this book hoping for the best and wary of being disappointed. With any luck, I'll find myself ordering How Did You Get This Number? by the end of the week.

No comments: