20090705

what did we listen: EMMY THE GREAT


on friday night my friends and i went to see emmy the great (opening act pixel toy) at grappas.

grappas cellar
central
jardine house
1 connaught place
central, hong kong
(852.)2521.2322

EMMY THE GREAT
HOMECOMING SHOW

myspace link

emma-lee moss was born in hong kong (yeh!) in 1984, is self-titled "emmy the great" and is currently london based. her entire album (void of "where is my mind") is self-written, which i consider a fairly impressive feat. her debut album "first love" was released february 2009. having just played in hong kong, she is moving on to singapore, ireland and then back to england. she has toured with tilly and the wall, martha wainwright and jamie t.





I remember how we met
but your name I forget
like the door that I have kept unopened

I remember it was wet
and the swelt and the sweat
and the shelter of the bed we slept on

You were stroking me like a pet
but you didn’t own me yet
and the tape in the cassette deck was choking
Spat out a broken hallelujah

But I’ve seen the way the earth
throws its aces with a curve
You were waiting for the words
to come to yer.

Just to say that you prefer to be lonely
to be cursed
and to do the very worst you can do.

Yeah I remember you like a verse
that I didn’t want to learn
I just looked into your eyes
and I knew yer.

Now the thought of you is burnt
on my body from the first time you did rewind that line from Hallelujah.
The original Leonard Cohen version.

Well I wish I never met you that day
You said I have a room and music to play
I have a room let me show you the way
I wish that I’d never come

But now that I have, I would do it again
I would forget that I’d piss on a grave

I would forget that I’d piss on a grave
and the words as they came to my tongue were hallelujah. Hallelujah!
And the sky was so much bluer
Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
And the world was so much newer.

You said I have a room
at the top of the stairs
I have a room with a view
I know we all have a cross that we bear
and I’d like to show it to you.

And you left me in the light
and you met me in the light
and we only had a night between the two.

You were waiting for the worst
You were listening for a curse
but the only thing I heard was hallelujah.

Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
And the sky was so much bluer
Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
And the world was so much newer.

you said I have a room
at the top of the stairs.
I have a room with a view.
I know we all have a cross that we bear
and I’d like to give it to you.

And I won’t forget how the sky was set
I said I have a place to go back to.
La La La I will have you yet
I will carry you there if I have to.

No I won’t forget no I won’t.
No I won’t forget no I won’t
No I won’t forget no I won’t
No I won’t forget no.

Woah. Woah. Woah. W-o-o-o-ah.
First love.

No comments: